Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Summertime


Summertime, and the living is easy............
Or so the song goes. Summertime. What does it bring to mind? Sunshine, gardens, mowing lawns, corn on the cob, watermelon, beaches, vacations. There's so much to enjoy in the summertime.

At the beginning of every summer, our family would trot up to the mountains. 



We attended an annual homeschooling conference and then would spend a few days in the cool mountains near Bryson City. My in laws had a very tiny trailer parked between Bryson City and Cherokee. The children always enjoyed our time at the trailer. There was a creek that ran close by, so the boys would bounce down in search of any kind of critter or special rock. We would rent those great big tires and float down Deep Creek! One year we rode the Smoky Mountain train. We'd watch the rafters as they would bob down the rough Nantahalla River. Of course we'd drive over to Dillard and Franklin to take in the shops. Such sweet summer memories. Do you have any special summer memories??

5 comments:

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Love your pix...they remind me of very good times. Enjoy!

Smiles,
Kelly

MarveLes Art Studios said...

I had a fun childhood.. Water is a great entertainer...floating creeks, swim lessons. Camping. Something special about water that attracts many of us, and it certainly says summer!! Lovely beach, cannot really imagine sitting there!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

My family never traveled when I was growing up. As a single mom, I couldn't afford to take my daughter on summer vacations when she was growing up. And now that DH and I are retired, we prefer to travel in the spring and fall, rather than the summer. So no summer vacation memories for me. ;-)

Val said...

2 weeks in Florida is my memory of being young. We made up a song and still sing it to this day!

Ivory Spring said...

I love reading your summer tradition! How fun. We don't have any special tradition - except we like to pack in a little bit of traveling here and there.

Thank you for stopping by and leaving the kind words on Miss Baby's pillow. :o)