Monday, April 18, 2016

Love story, the ultimate UFO

I've been having some health issues for the past month, where I've experienced a most uncomfortable and painful time. I've not felt good enough to sew or even do much posting. In light of that I hope you will be patient with me as I resend some earlier posts.

-----------------------------------------------------------

About 15 years ago, I made a baby quilt when I found out my BFF was expecting their first grandchild. It was a simple 4 patch pattern I found in a magazine. It was fun to make, and was enjoyed by the family when it was received.

Fast forward to 2011. This family has since moved to the Ukraine as missionaries. And they now have 5 adorable children. The little quilt I made for their first born was passed down to the babies that followed. It has been well loved, holes and all.

The family returned to the states to renew their passports. When they left the Ukraine, Mama left the quilt, now affectionately called "Beck" back at home. However when they arrived in the states........... well, this was the email sent to me from Mama Oksana..........

"By the way, you already know that Damara loves the blanket that you made for David years ago. When we were leaving Ukraine, I left it at home because even though she likes it, she is not completely attached to it. How surprised I was to find out that Dalina, our six-year-old, packed that little blanket in HER little personal carry-on for her little sister! So, the "Beck" (as the blanket is affectionately known in our house) has traveled back to America once again!"

During our move, and while I was working on organizing my fabric closet, I came across it's twin, Beck #2. My daughter had made the same quilt top after I made the original. The top was complete but never quilted, so having heard how ragged "Beck" has become, I sandwiched the top and quilted it. I sent it on to them, so it might become another well loved cozy quilt for little children to snuggle with.

And here it is - "Beck" #2

Doesn't it make you happy to know that a quilt you made and gifted was so well loved??

Happy Quilting!

13 comments:

momquilter said...

What an awesome story! I am so sorry about your health issues. I hope you get feeling better soon! I'll say a prayer for you. Btw, "Beck" is a beautiful quilt.

Jo Anna

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I'm so sorry that you've been facing some health issues. I'll be praying that you'll find relief and healing - soon.

I just love it when a quilt I've made is so loved and used, like it sounds like Beck has been. How thoughtful to provide them with another quilt to love and use.

allthingzsewn said...

You are in my prayers as well. Beck #2 is a loving heart being shared.
Blessings and hugs
Tonia

Lady Locust said...

That is beautiful ~ what every quilter hopes to hear.
Hope & prayers that you are feeling 'nifty' in no-time:)

Kat said...

Nothing makes me happier than hearing that one of my quilts has been worn to bits! How fortuitous that your found its twin after all this time!

Joyful Quilter said...

Hope you are feeling better soon. I made the same quilt years ago (mine had flannel on the back) - I gave mine to my grandmother who was in the hospital at the time and couldn't get warm. It got lots of love'n too. Thanks for bring back the memory.

Janice Holton said...

Awesome story! Such a rewarding feeling when something you have made is so cherished.

margaret said...

so sorry to read you are not well you will certainly be remembered in my prayers, do take care and rest. What a lovely story you have shared today and yes I am sure the new quilt will be well loved too.

Allie-oops Designs said...

Oh dear Jocelyn, I hope and pray you're better soon!!! I love your story of Beck, what a treasure!

QuiltSue said...

Sorry you've not been well, I hope you're recovering now. What a lovely story about the quilt.

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Health issues are the pits!! I hope you are on the road to recovery very soon!

Susan said...

I'm sorry to hear that you have been dealing with health issues, Jocelyn! Praying that you will be feeling better and back to quilting soon!

Aby Dolinger said...

Great Story! It's So Nice When Folks Appreciate The Quilts We Make For Them!